Intercultural Memories

Please join us here in sharing the stories that make us who we are.

Sometimes people need a story more than food to stay alive.

(Barry Lopez)

Thursday, April 9, 2009

The paradox of tolerance

Tolerance has two parts, not giving offense and not taking offense. It seems that much of  political correctness has specialized in the first part, and largely ignored the second part which in fact means that taking offense usually results in giving offense. You can't have one without the other. 

In addition, I have to admit that some of my greatest learnings occurred when tough love and directness pierced my shell and I was able either at the moment to not raise defenses or at least in retrospect realized the message when my defensive reactions diminished. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home