Intercultural Memories

Please join us here in sharing the stories that make us who we are.

Sometimes people need a story more than food to stay alive.

(Barry Lopez)

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Santiago Matamoros needs a change of name

Some years ago, my friend and colleague, Farid and I made a pact that he would perform the hajj and I would make the pilgrimage to Santiago de Campostelo as a mutual prayer for peace and friendship. 

Farid has kept his part of the bargain, reminding me also to be one of “…those who spend (benevolently) in ease as well as in straitness, and those who restrain anger and who pardon…” and that “Allah loves the doers of good.” (Quran‐3.134). Farid has gone, record in hand, to the gates of the garden, but I still have to hang my shell around my neck again for some weeks of marching west on the camino frances.

Hang on Farid! With my two new titanium hips, I’ll get there soon, and, after that, look forward to meeting you at the gates of the garden when the longer journey is finished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home