Intercultural Memories

Please join us here in sharing the stories that make us who we are.

Sometimes people need a story more than food to stay alive.

(Barry Lopez)

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Moving Furniture--it's a guy thing


Besides the "real men" in my family, there were the "Stargazers," the team that met from house to house every Tuesday night, sans beer, for more than eight years. We talked about and managed our lives in mutual support. It could mean listening to family sagas and tragedies, lost and found loves, plans for the team to paint a local schoolhouse, picking up trash along the river bank, or doing a "sweat" on the beach. "You need help, we'll be there." 

I needed help, housecleaning and moving furniture. Over they came. When they left, my partner Cathy was incensed. "Pick that up." "Take it downstairs." "No, not there, over here." "You never say please or thank you." "If I did that to my friends, I wouldn't have any."

"But they're guys..."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home