Intercultural Memories

Please join us here in sharing the stories that make us who we are.

Sometimes people need a story more than food to stay alive.

(Barry Lopez)

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Is it irreligious to be culturally religious?

A few years ago I started traveling regularly to the Philippines, where a lot of TV programming is straight from the US of A, with the dirty words bleeped out.  I was overwhelmed by the flood of "fix yourself" commercials.  

More recently a colleague of mine spent about an hour lecturing me on a variety of spiritual techniques and practices that were guaranteed if I followed them to help me live a long, happy, stress free life. I have an allergy to true belief. I seem to have contracted this allergy well before I ever read Eric Hoffer, "The savior who wants to turn men into angels is as much a hater of human nature as the totalitarian despot who wants to turn them into puppets."

Over the years, I have practiced meditation: Christian, Buddhist, Hindu and New Age. I have done Yoga, Aikido, and Tai Chi, and, in fact, taken something precious from each of them, but none of them  instructed me in the need to make converts or fix anyone. Thus I am put off by what feels like the spiritual equivalent of pharmaceutical marketing. 

Cultural religion, that acquired in the ambiance and experiences of life, is often disparaged in favor of the practiquant, who to me often seems like the learner rather than the learned. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home